Filtering software & librarian reviewers

Bill Drew drewwe at morrisville.edu
Fri Apr 11 09:53:45 EDT 1997

I have a problem with us aiding the filter and censorship industry.  If
we review their products and help them make up lists of words to block
then we are supporting what they are doing.  That would violate my
professional ethics.  This is not collection development or book
selection.  When we do collection development and book selection we
still allow our users to request materials we don't own via interlibrary
loan.  Supporting the efforts of filter/censorship industry is not the
same thing as book selection or collection development.  I do support
ratings systems and such but not for use by libraries.  I might use one
on my home computer so my daughter and son can surf safely but that is
my duty as a parent.  When my son surfs at a library machine or in my
office I am there with him.
--
Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill") Systems Librarian (also reference)
SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902
powwow:drewwe at wedrew.lib.morrisville.edu
Phone: (315)684-6055 or 684-6060 Fax: (315)684-6115
New Homepage: http://www.snymor.edu/~drewwe/
Not Just Cows: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/njc/
LibraryLinks: http://www.morrisville.edu/pages/library/
SUNYLA'97: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/sunyla/sunyla97.htm