Kiosk Cabinet Makers - Summary

EPadilla EPadilla at sjmercury.com
Mon Apr 7 13:28:59 EDT 1997

Here was the premise:
>We are looking for kiosks we can place in our cafeteria and press rooms -
>for staff who do not have computers - so that they can access our intranet.

>I'm looking for a secure cabinet or workstation - so that people can not
>have access to the actual hardware. But can access just the keyboard, and
>mouse.

Our Solution:
We went with a business furniture vendor  "Global" (1-800-472-0101),
who sells a PC View-Thru Workstation in the $200.00 range.
The workstation has a side cabinet where the pc box can be
placed and locked in, an ergonomic keyboard tray, and
the monitor is recessed under the glass table top, so that
for cafeteria use, we don't have to worry about spillage.
For software, we are using a combination of both:
HYPER TECHNOLOGIES INC.  --   IKIOSK 2.0  http://www.hypertec.com/
and
FORTRES 101   -  http://www.fortres.com/f101.htm

Below are any e-mail leads I received.

 From: Jack Abbott <jack at interactivate.com>
Hello Elizabeth,
We are co-located with a web developer in Sorrento Vally in San Diego.
There are two "box-builders" here who may make sense for you. There is also
a more high end company in Newport Beach we use. Depends a bit on the
materials and the durability and materials you need. The folks in Newport
are building the boxes for malls and every piece is custom designed.
Although your application may not need to be pretty or "bulletproof", it
may require a degree of customization. Of course it may be an issue of
price. Some of the builders can provide the hardware as well. Feel free to
page me at 1-888-864-5013 anytime. You can also call the office at
619-748-7684 x2.

Suggest you contact Kingsley Library Eqpt. Co., 1879 Mt. Vernon Ave.,
Pomona, CA   91768,  909/622-5440, 800/376-7209,  FAX 909/622-3103 about
secure kiosks.  They have developed and sold a number of units like that
over the years - they may have something now that ideally meets your needs

Kiosk vendors found on the Internet :

MicroTouch Systems, Inc. www.microtouch.com
Atcom Cyberbooth  www.atcominfo.com

 -Liz