e-mail to web gateways

Prentiss Riddle riddle at is.rice.edu
Mon Sep 30 12:40:48 EDT 1996

> From: Frans Lettenstrom <frans.lettenstrom at bibsam.kb.se>
> Subject: e-mail to web gateways
>
> Third World librarians are very interested in email-to-web gateways. The two
> gateways I knew about seem to be dead (webmail at curia.cc.ie and
> agora at www.undp.org).
>
> DO YOU KNOW OF GATEWAYS THAT ARE OPERATING??

I haven't tried any e-mail-to-web gateways lately myself, but there is
a FAQ on the subject entitled "Accessing The Internet By E-Mail".  The
FAQ file is itself available via e-mail.  To retrieve it, send an
e-mail message to "mail-server at rtfm.mit.edu" with the following line in
the BODY of the message:

  send usenet/news.answers/internet-services/access-via-email

Web-impaired users who have FTP access can retrieve it directly at:

  ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.answers/internet-services/access-via-email

If you find that gateways mentioned in the FAQ are not operational,
I would recommend contacting its author.  But see the "Before You Write"
section of the FAQ first.  Good luck.

-- Prentiss Riddle ("aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada") riddle at rice.edu
-- RiceInfo Administrator, Rice University / http://is.rice.edu/~riddle