Big Picture(sm): Visual Browsing in Web and non-Web Databases

Gerry McKiernan JL.GJM at ISUMVS.IASTATE.EDU
Sun Sep 29 12:16:04 EDT 1996

The Big Picture(sm):

                 Visual Browsing in Web and non-Web Databases

     For a planned review and clearinghouse, I am interested in learning of
projects,  research, products, or services that have applied 'information
visualization' technologies to Web collections or bibliographical databases.
At this time, I am not interested in data visualization or the application of
these technologies to pure text or document collections.

     I am interested in the application of the following types of
Information Visualization techniques, or ones similar to these:

              Benediktine Space
              Cityscapes
              Cone Trees and Cam Trees
              Fish-eye Views
              Landscapes
              Perspective Walls
              Rooms
              Sphere Visualization

I am aware of such systems as:

              BEAD
              Hyperspace
              Information Cube
              Information Visualizer
              Narcissus
              SPIRE
              VIBE and VR-VIBE
              VizNet

While I am interested in the application of these technologies to Web
collections, I am particularly interested in any efforts that have
applied these to MARC databases of any type, Web or non-Web.

     As always, any recommendations, suggestions, reactions, contacts, or
leads will be very much appreciated.

     As sites and projects are identified and reviewed they will be profiled
at this site at the following URL:

             http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/BigPic.htm

     Regards,

Gerry McKiernan