Hi Folks, and now for something completely different.

Anita Sundaram Coleman asc at uiuc.edu
Sat Sep 28 10:28:12 EDT 1996

Thom,

Congratulations on an innovative proposal.  While I
inderstand that your proposal is targeted towards
an emerging market, I've often thought that LIS
could benefit from experience with all the areas you
mention, and one that I like quite a bit - computer game
design - and consider particularly relevant.  It becomes
increasingly important as we move more and more into a
media environment for many genres of what have
traditionally been print documents, but are now
slowly becoming not only digital but also interactive
hypermedia.  It will probably take libraries another
100 years to work out what this means in practice but
meanwhile we can play online games and get educated ;-)
And of course, always take a summer course with you, right?

Could you elaborate a little more on CITE?  Did the
initiative for it come from outside the university?
Also for the MIME program itself, was there any
outside request from the industry or the companies you
list as with scholarship/internship potential? Thanks
for sharing.

Anita