World News Connection - Anyone Accessing?

MacKenzie Smith macknz at elmer.harvard.edu
Thu Sep 26 15:06:20 EDT 1996

> Acessing World News Connection (from NTIS in the Commerce Department)
> currently requires a password for each login.  We have three loginids.  In
> an e-mail message from their help desk I was told that they are working on
> "networked access"  - whatever they mean by that.  IP filtering would make
> me happy.  In the meantime, I've been pondering how to keep the passwords
> secure yet not require the gov. doc. folks to individually log a patron in
> each time.  At my level of CGI expertise, I can't do it although I intend to
> keep puttering with the problem.
>
> Are any of you faced with the same problem?  What have you done?

Me again.  I just wrote a perl script last week to automate the logon
to WNC with our 4 logonid/passwords(!)  My technical contact there was
very helpful, and said that they are indeed thinking about how to
redesign the system to handle institutional accounts (the whole site
was designed on the assumption that it would be used only by individuals),
but that's probably a _long_ way off.  In the meantime, you can't use
WebScript the way you're thinking because the NTIS CGI scripts don't
know anything about that FUNC/LOGIN stuff... that's SiteSearch speak
and no one speaks it but OCLC and its SiteSearch customers... My perl
script (could have been Tcl just as easily) uses the unix lynx client
to negotiate the logon and then hands off the session to the actual
client.  It also does local authentication and logging using some Tcl
routines that we developed.  There are still a few glitches with this
scheme, but it's working pretty well for us.

Let me know if you'd like the script, and be sure to complain a lot
to NTIS so they'll fix their system soon!