Rural/Public Library "home page" proposals?

Mary-Ellen Mort memort at netcom.com
Wed Sep 25 16:27:41 EDT 1996

Rod--

This isn't rural libraries but it's a project that might give you some
ideas of the possibilities & benefits of library presence on the web.

JobSmart: Northern California Job Search Guide <http://jobsmart.org> is
an LSCA grant funded partnership between Bay Area Public LIbraries & KPIX
Television (a local CBS affiliate in SF.)

JobSmart brings together LOCAL job search info on the web and has been
very well received by the popular press (our local newspapers), library
press (we're included in the current cover story of the Sept. 15 Library
Journal) and by all our member libraries.

The idea behind it is to provide service to a wide area with similar
concerns, maintain the "library angle" by talking about resources &
strategies rather than pushing a specific product, and to save the time
and effort of member libraries (who can link to our page rather than put
in the time & work to create & maintain such a resource for job seekers.)

JobSmart is used by librarians, patrons using library access to the Web,
local career centers, and by anyone with home or work access to the Web.

While JobSmart also models a public-private partnership (we will use
advertising revenues to keep the project going after the grant ends), it
is also a model of having one library or library agency tackle one issue
and share the benefits with other libraries.

Berkeley Public is doing this too in many ways. Most recently by
providing web access to their Berkeley Information Network (community
information files) at
http://library.ci.berkeley.ca.us:81/screens/mainmenu.html

These are examples of resource sharing that are cost-effective and make
the most of what each library does.

Good luck with your arguments!

Mary-Ellen Mort
JobSmart Project Director