Netscape and MSIE administration kits -- any info?

Andre Backs backs at pbczh.nl
Mon Sep 23 18:20:56 EDT 1996

Walter W. Giesbrecht wrote:

> Does anyone out there have experience with either of these packages?
> Both of them *seem* to have the ability to create kiosk-like versions
> of their respective products, but the available information on them
> is frustratingly incomplete. Requests for more information from
> either Netscape or Microsoft have been met with copies of their press
> releases only. I am reluctant to part with $795 for Netscape's admin
> kit, and we can't (yet) run the latest version of MSIE, since we are
> still using Windows 3.11 here.
Although I'm not familiar with the package it seems to be about the same
as the Netscape administration kit. It does little more than personalise
the browser to the companies whishes as fas as logo's and helpfiles go.
It doesn't add any extra security features like the ones most of us here
would like to seen in a public access web browser.
I have some plans to write a small shell program that uses OLE or DDE to
embed Netscape or MSIE in the kiosk mode. Somewhat similar like using
Excel to start Netscape to display a internet link.
This shell program then would feature only the things I feel are safe
for the public to use.
(Safe in the sence that public can't prowl on my PC but do most anything
on the Internet)
Also I tend to use Borland's Workshop to remove some buttons and menu
options from programs like Dialers and such. Only problem I see at the
moment with that is the use of the righthand mouse button, wich gives a
popup menu with nasty options in it. If anyone here has a method of
getting rid of that (other than disconnecting the button) I would be
much abliged.

I hope to tell you soon about my shell adventure,
cheers,
Andre Backs
ProBiblio / HollandNet
http://www.pbczh.nl