Librarians on Mars wanted for interview

Rod Miller rmiller at denver.carl.org
Mon Sep 23 09:17:46 EDT 1996

On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Karen G. Schneider wrote:

> For an upcoming column, I'd like to hear from librarians who are truly far,
> far from the madding crowd--not necessarily from Mars (though admittedly
> that would be one heck of a scoop), but in remote or otherwise challenging
> situations.  Are you on a ship?  On the tip of a small island?  Sequestered
> behind nine feet of concrete?  Marooned in the center of an underpopulated
> prairie?  Otherwise largely cut off from your librarian peers--except, of
> course, through electronic channels?  Tell me your story so I can share it
> with others!  Thanks--

> Karen G. Schneider * kgs at bluehighways.com * schneider.karen at epamail.epa.gov
> Author, The Internet Access Cookbook (e-mail Neal-Schuman at icm.com)
> Director, US EPA Region 2 Library * Cybrarian * Columnist, American Libraries
> Visit our library at our new URL: http://www.epa.gov/Region2/library/
> These opinions strictly mine!

(little behind on reading my listserv mail, but...if you haven't
written your column yet...)

Karen,

I will repost your message to our libraries--all of 'em in the
state of Wyoming.   We just past phases I & II of connecting
all public, academic, and now possibly school libraries in Wyoming
to the internet, and thereby provide *real* library automation
services.

Since they can be shy, please let me know if you would like
either anecdotal or factual information about our network
(for instance, what it's like to provide technical support
when you customer base is spread out across 100,00 sq miles
of high-plains and mountains).

Wyoming *is* the least densely populated state in the lower
48.  Less than 450,000 people in the entire state. Arguably
everyone is remote.

Rod
Rod Miller, Wyoming State Library
Cheyenne, Wyoming