Homebrew Link Checker

Michael Alan Dorman mdorman at calder.med.miami.edu
Mon Sep 16 19:49:12 EDT 1996

"Thomas Dowling" <tdowling at ohiolink.edu> writes:
> I got started on this when I looked at some of the link checkers suggested
> here; some of them are commercial products or shareware, and it just seemed
> that people were trying to make a couple of bucks doing something I already
> had the tools to do.  A little playing around came up with the following.

Since Thomas initiated the descent into Unix-dom, I'll mention that I
have a pair of programs (soon to be a trio) that work on Unix servers
to do all this---and, most important for my purposes, they don't use
http to do the checking (except off-site), so they're faster than
anything else out there, and they don't skew access counts.

As soon as some naming issues are resolved, I'll be putting the newest
big revision up---it's able to discern the configurations for certain
types of servers, even virtual servers and user directories, etc.

You can find details at http://www.med.miami.edu/~mdorman/.  There is
an outside possibility that the current versions would work under OS/2
or Windows, and there is a virtual certainty that the newest will,
assuming you're using a supported server (Apache or NCSA).

Mike.
--
Michael Alan Dorman                                   Head of Systems
mdorman at calder.med.miami.edu            Louis Calder Memorial Library