Local databases of bib records for Internet resources

Mohamed Taleb mtaleb at bird.library.arizona.edu
Wed Sep 18 18:19:15 EDT 1996

!!! This message has been cross posted to Intercat and Autocat,  and
probably others.  I apologize for any inconvenience !!!

We are now beginning an organized effort to provide some means
of local access to internet resources. We are considering several
possibilities including adding MARC records to our Innopac
catalog, which now has a web interface. We plan to do this for
e-journals to which we subscribe and/or also hold in printed
formats. However, we're not convinced that our OPAC is
necessarily the place where our users will look to find
information on electronic resources that are unique to the
internet. We are considering creating an additional database
of brief records (more along the lines of the NetFirst catalog)
that could reside on our server with our library home pages and be
searchable through the same local search engine that also searches the
library home pages.

We are wondering if any other libraries are doing this, either in
addition to, or separate from, the standard MARC records you are
adding to your OPACs.

Please respond to me personally, or to the list if you think others
would be interested. I will share our findings and what we decide to
do.

Thanks.

Mohamed Taleb
University of Arizona Library

**  Mohamed A. Taleb               * Hope for the best  but expect the   **
**  Information Systems Librarian  * worst that way you hardly ever      **
**  University of Arizona Library  * disappointed and sometimes          **
**  Main Library # 302             * pleasantly surprised                **
**  Tucson , AZ 85721              *                                     **
**                                 *      From the song "Bleak House"    **
**                                 *         by the Phantom Limbs        **