Electronic Reserves on the web

Bob Jones bjones at unf.edu
Wed Sep 4 09:19:13 EDT 1996

On Tue, 3 Sep 1996, Ann Grusin wrote:
> As an aside, I know of a prof here who has created his own reserve
> system using Adobe Acrobat.  He requires his students to install
> the Acrobat reader on their workstations as part of his course.
> While this no doubt is happening, I'd prefer to see a system
> linked to an OPAC, or at least maintained by the library.

I don't have a problem with faculty bypassing the library for this.  They
have gone out and learned about homepages and HTML without all the
grumbling about "not my job", and they essentially have assembled a
complete electronic coursepack, which happens to include readings, done in
their style, their way, and in their time (read "pride").  Students are
told where the course homepage is and can get to it without going to the
library.  What's wrong with that?  The faculty member is obviously
enlightened, and his/her students will benefit from (and maybe even learn
through) that enlightenment.  In this instance, the library might
offer assistance (brochures, handouts, homepages, and workshops) which
counsel on copyright and licenses, and maybe even offer to provide a hot
link to the course's homepage as a courtesy.  The Library has
traditionally offered reserve services, but now we have the opportunity to
offer them in different ways. Please let's not be territorial
traditionalists!

Bob Jones                                    mailto://bjones@unf.edu
Head, Public Services Division and Systems Coordinator
University of North Florida Library          http://www.unf.edu/library/
P.O. Box 17605                               (904) 646-2552 (SC 861-2552)
Jacksonville, FL  32245-7605                 FAX: (904) 646-2719
                                             ARIEL: 139.62.208.88