A plea for help

Rommel John Miller rjmiller at shore.intercom.net
Tue Sep 3 04:13:30 EDT 1996

Dear Friends in the Field of Library Science,

	My name is Rommel John Miller and I am a 38 year old
psychologically disabled (severely depressed coupled with
obsessive-compulsive disorder) as a direct result of service in the U.S.
Navy aboard a nuclear arms carrying submarine tender in Holy Loch,
Scotland (1978-79).  The idea of what those polaris subs with their
arsenal of deadly ordinance developed into an obsession the likes of
which shook me to the very core of my being.  Subsequently, and after
years of thinking that my problems would just go away, I was awarded a
service-connected disability rating from the Veteran's Administration,
and persuant to that I was placed in the VA's Vocational Rehabilitation
services under which I earned a B.A. in Philosophy in December 1995.  My
G.P.A. reflects the ways in which OCD and depression have influenced my
daily life and what is a 3.09 might well have been 3.4 had not my
university been short-sighted in their reluctance to accept the power of
a psychological disability to affect the ways in which one behaves/reacts
to certain stimuli.  My downfall was the radical opposition to the
teaching of, and high regard for, the Nazi philosopher Martin Heidegger,
a story which bears the investigation of anyone concerned with ethics and
the idea that sophistry reaches into modern philosophy when even the
author of a superb theory cannot himself live up to it; what would we say
had Socrates not lived up to his teachings, I mean afterall, wasn't it
for his beliefs that Socrates died?  No less then should be expected of
any philosopher held-up as the pre-emminent philosophical theorist of the
20th Century.  But I urge anyone interested to investigate this rant of
mine for themselves, I am afterall considered by one former professor not
to be competent to persue a master's degree in Philosophy.  But to be
honest I simply wanted a degree in Philosophy to prepare me
intellectually to persue a Master's Degree in Library Science.

Sadly two graduate programs have rejected me thus far and I am beginning
to wonder if I have what it takes to be a librarian, and hence I am
sending out an appeal to anyone who might be able to assist me in
preparing a "winning" application package or of just plain helping over
the rough spots of fearing the GRE (I am a high school drop-out [with
GED] who NEVER took the SAT and was told that he should NEVER think about
going to College), of applying to schools on the basis of my
interest/merit and desire to dedicate myself and my life's work to
libraries &c.  And more.  To be honest I would gladly relocate if I were
offered a menial job in a library (as a Library Tech or whatnot) with the
promise of being accepted into the Graduate School on a provisional
basis.  In other words, I would accept any offer to work in a library,
University, private or public library anywhere within a reasonable
commuting distance to an ALA accredited Graduate Program in Library
Science.  And I am serious about my willingness to relocate, for I do so
want to begin my studies before the millenium, and to hopefully graduate
in either June or December of 2000, although the completion might take a
little longer especially if persuing it on a part-time enhancement to a
para-professional career engagement.

I sincerely seek to be guided by anyone who would be willing to work with
me, and I would be more than willing to submit letters of recommendation
to any who would be interested in the possibility of being of some
assistance, but I implore you to understand that in order to relocate I
do need some assurances, such as the promise that I would be entering
into a job with the provision to earn a MLS.  Please help me, I am asking
from the bottom of my heart, and I thank you for reading this.

Finally does anyone know if any ALA accredited coursework in Library
Science is available through distance learning or on the net?  Taking
courses thus might be one way in which to begin my graduate career and to
show potential schools that I really do have the brains and tenacity to
work hard so that I might earn the MLS I haved longed most of my life to
hold.  Thank you, and may God bless each and everyone of you.

    Rommel John Miller                      RJMiller1095 at Juno.com
    12544 Selsey Road                       rjmiller at shore.intercom.net
    Ocean City, MD  21842-9128              (410) 213-0082

   "If life had a Second Edition, how I would correct the proofs!"
	-- John Clare (1793 - 1864)