Packard Bell commercial

Bill Wallace mds at rt66.com
Wed Oct 30 05:05:38 EST 1996

I have not seen the Packard Bell commerical because I rarely watch TV. But
what I do see is fear. And more specifically fear of change. Libraries are
changing! As society changes a library role within the society is bound to
change. Dragging up images of Jackbooted Nazi is not going to help
libraries meet challenges of the future.
	Perhaps instead of condeming the commerical, we should be looking
at what it will mean to Libraries if patrons are able to access information
resources that they need from home, classroom, or work. What will our role
be in such an environment? Can we as libraries provide great resources to
patrons online than we could a single physical site? Is our task to see the
various viewpoints are available instead of watered-down mass market
version?

Bill Wallace
Cybrarian
Manzano Day School