Adobe Acrobat

Thomas Dowling tdowling at OHIOLINK.edu
Tue Oct 22 09:28:57 EDT 1996

> We are using Adobe Acrobat to view the online reserves here at UMBC.
> Complaints have surfaced about the quality of the material when viewed on
> the Libraries PC's at 800x600.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this problem/found a solution?

Two solutions come to mind: 1024x768 and 1280x1024.

Sorry to be glib about that, but there really isn't much you can do to
improve readability at lower resolutions.  You can zoom the text, of
course, but that leads to so much scrolling (even horizontal scrolling)
that your users will bail out even faster.  Even at higher resolutions,
there are ergonomic reasons why people won't like reading a lot of material
onscreen, so don't expect to get rid of user complaints this side of a 1200
dpi laser printer.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Ohio Library and Information Network