Server in library?

Daniel Albano (1) danielt1 at nypl.north-york.on.ca
Thu Oct 17 23:26:07 EDT 1996

On Wed, 16 Oct 1996, Debra DeCelle wrote:

> Hello.  Our library is considering running its own server.  We would
> be responsible for our institution's home page as well as that of
> our town government.  Has anyone else done this?  I am interested in
> any input - positive or negative.  We have some concerns about
> personnel time/training.

	Hmmm... Install operating system, set up server,
	screw down security holes in operating system, set
	up X-windows, modify DNS - about 2.5 days, total.

	Muck around with boot protocols and loading terminal
	server (you probably won't want or need to do this)
	- another 2 days, mostly debugging layered problems.

	Study documentation, play around with configuration
	and tuning of server - .5 days.

	Total 3-5 days.  Hardware - vanilla pentium with
	Ethernet card.  Software cost - $0.

	It probably depends a lot on who is doing it; and what
	environment you choose.  I wouldn't want to do it in
	VMS; in Unix it was easy.

Daniel Albano                           daniel at nypl.north-york.on.ca
Computer Services                       +1 416 395 5907

"Views expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect
the position of the North York Public Library."