Bottom Line on Electronic Libraries -Reply

Alain Vaillancourt NDGMTLCD at GSLIS.Lan.McGill.CA
Wed Oct 2 21:22:29 EDT 1996

> From:           "C. W. Tazewell" <cwt at exis.net>
> Subject:        Re: Bottom Line on Electronic Libraries -Reply

>      The Internet Appliance will be available soon - a large
> screen combination digital TV, VCR and WWW gadget.  The users
> will sit on their couches and use a TV remote.  They will have
> a wireless keyboard for occasional use.  Some type of "mouse"
> action will be included in the TV remote.

I have strong doubts as to the keyboard, wireless or not, catching on
in the mass TV market.  Even the upscale large screen TV market.

And at crucial moments, you do need to place your words on the screen.

So the web will probably get into that mass market when a suitable
replacement for keyboard entry comes along.  Limited voice
recognition combined with point and click I would wager.

Which is why I watch so closely any article on voice rec technologies
in "Business Week" and the PC mags.

Au revoir

Alain Vaillancourt