Active-X, JAVA, Javascript, etc....

Mark Wilcox WILCOX at lis.unt.edu
Tue Oct 29 16:20:07 EST 1996

First rule of the security thumb -- The only to make your computer
totally safe is to unplug it from the wall, disconnect all floppy
drives & printers, put it in a vacuum sealed safe and have an armed
guard around it 24 hours a day.

Second rule of the security thumb --- When the first rule is not
possible, BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP!

Third rule -- Get a UPS & a solid anti-virus package & keep up on
patches to your OS & webserver.

Finally the more powerful & functional something is, the more
insecure it is...

Active-X is the least secure (at least for client-side browsing) way
of enhancing a website but offers the best way to more robust, easier
functionality to either Netscape or IE. This is because it basically
is the same commands/code that allows for OLE (which allows for such
things as cut & paste, imbedding Excel worksheets into PowerPoint
slides which in turn are imbedded into Word documents) except on an
intranet/internet wide scale. It also allows a webpage designer to
add a Windows feel to their HTML documents (hey not saying it's the
best but at 500 million strong there's more Windows people than
anyone else) as well as greater control over positioning of HTML
objects.

JAVAscript is about as secure as your going to get and is pretty easy
to use. It's not nearly as powerful as either JAVA or Active-X but it
does come in handy.

JAVA is a full blown programming language that I think in the long
run is really going to revolutionize how we compute. But that's not
going to be for at least 2 to 3 years. Javascript & Active-X
technologies are going to be the bread & butter for years to come
for most non-programmer types (Active-X will  be as easy to
do as Visual Basic ) and JAVA is going to unseat a good portion of
C/C++ as language of choice. It has many security features built in
for running on a network but like any fortress it can be defeated.

The way I look at it, yes there is danger in what someone might
create but I think the enormous potential for what these technologies
could do outweighs the bad.

Mark

wilcox at lis.unt.edu

http://archive.lis.unt.edu/~mew0002/
Webmaster WWW Archive of Conference Proceedings
http://archive.lis.unt.edu/