Packard Bell commercial (not a stumper)

remelt at LEGACY.CALVIN.EDU remelt at LEGACY.CALVIN.EDU
Tue Oct 29 16:37:38 EST 1996

Why all the hysteria and hand-wringing? We're finally major players
in an important arena! Librarians used to have bit parts - primarily
just for laughs. Now we (and our buldings/collections) are seen as a
major (but contrasting) force. Major articles in non-library journals are
discussing the future of libraries. We've arrived - you better get
used to the attention!

So, what are we going to do about it? Rant and rave and get offended?
Or, seize every opportunity to show the public and the funding
agencies that we are, and will remain, a major player in the
information future.

Date:          Mon, 28 Oct 1996 20:29:34 -0500
From:          "GraceAnne DeCandido /WWW Director 4th Floor" <gdecandido at wlb.hwwilson.com>
To:            Multiple recipients of list <publib-net at nysernet.org>
Subject:       (Fwd) * Packard Bell commercial (not a stumper)

A forward for discussion.
GraceAnne
Date:          Mon, 28 Oct 1996 11:20:25 -0500 (EST)
From:          Ross Holt <rholt at ncsl.dcr.state.nc.us>
Subject:       * Packard Bell commercial (not a stumper)
To:            stumpers-list at crf.cuis.edu

Writing with my keyboard warmed up in hell in hopes that someone who
subscribes to other library lists might cross-post this....

Has anyone seen the Packard Bell computer commercial that encourages
people to access information from home rather than venture to the library?
It appears to be VERY anti-library. The library is depicted as a dark,
menacing place full of dusty books with spiders in them, lorded over by
red-jacketed, skinhead storm troopers marching in a rectangle and
uttering, "Shhh", in machine-like rhythm.  Outside, the New York Public
Library-style lions come to life to menace the poor patron, who is caught
in a furious rain storm.  Then the scene shifts to a sunny, bucolic
landscape with a cute cottage where life is cheery and pleasant, where
information can be accessed via home computer.

I find all this very offensive.  I want people to have home computers and
search the web til their hearts are content.  That's great.  But don't
vendors like Packard Bell understand what libraries are all about?  Don't
they understand that we all work together on this?  Don't they understand
that libraries buy computers too?

Just wanted to start some discussion, but if you are inclined to respond,
do it OFF this list (Stumpers).

Thanks,

Ross Holt
Randolph County Public Library
Asheboro, NC

(Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect the views of the
North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources.)