Windows 95 for public use

Max Leek max at lava.eils.lib.id.us
Thu Nov 21 19:19:50 EST 1996

We've used WinU on our six public web-browsing machines since we brought
them up two months ago.  What it does, it does well.  It's easy to set up,
and difficult to break (I can't say how difficult:  our only problem
occurred when one staff member announced the password to another staff
member in the presence of two of our most interested patrons).

What can be donw once the programs are started from the menu (in our case,
Netscape), has to be dealt with other ways.  So far, we've disabled the
floppy drive, because we don't want to allow downloading, and we've made
the bookmark file read only--these things in addition to WinU.  But
otherwise Netscape can do everything that Netscape can do, even with WinU
running.

Max Leek, Library Director             NOTHING
Marshall Public Library                      IS
113 S. Garfield                                SIMPLE
Pocatello, ID 83204
208-232-1263
max at lava.eils.lib.id.us