DIGERATI LESS INCLINED TO SEE A LIBRARY IN THEIR FUTURE

Robin Aurelius raureli at well.com
Sun Nov 17 10:54:05 EST 1996

i WORK IN A HIGH SCHOOL LIBRARY. Among the digerati there is strong
support for my library because they are encouraged to use their
personally honed skills when the printed page fades out. However, they
are also addicted to games which establishes an unfortunate hierarchy of
fiscal values. In the age bracket cited, there is very little cash
surplus, so taxes of any kind are viewed as reducing the opportunity for
pleasure with computer games. Is there a solution? We in the libraries
need to create hooks in the paper pages to hooks in the virtual
pages. That way they understand what we're doing and be willing to pay as
they go. Eventually they will come around to paying their share of taxes.