The Value of an MLS

JOSEPH MAXIMILLIAN MURPHY MURPHYJ at CUA.EDU
Fri Nov 15 19:06:40 EST 1996

There's been a lot of talk about the value of an MLS lately. One thing that
strikes me is that I don't think that "an MLS" of itself necessarily has a lot
of value. Like anything else, it's what you did with it that counts.

That's kind of a flammatory statement, but let me elaborate. The MLS program
I'm currently in has a number of different tracks. People who go through the
tracks for systems, or IRM, or book arts, or children's librarianship... (etc.
etc.) won't all know the same things. These people will even learn different
things in the core courses, as they see what they think will be relevant to
them later on. And that's a good thing. Frankly, I'd be worried if people who
studied academic reference and people who studied systems maintenance were on
the same footing for the same job. (All else being equal, yadda yadda yadda.)
Now if that's a fair statment at one school (and I've been here long enough to
be sure of it), imagine how diluted that concept of "The MLS" will get across
schools!

Which all comes back to knowing what you're really qualified for, and how to
prove that. Basic resume design issues, in the end. You got a degree? Good.
What did you study? What did you research? What are your experiences? Prove
your degree is relevant. Prove it's more relevant than the other applicants'
degrees, even if the degrees are in different fields. The labor market is
_always_ a buyer's market; you gotta sell, sell, sell!

And hope you aren't dealing with too many dinosaurs who are wedded to their
position postings...

Just some thoughts,
-Joe Murphy            "Sometimes you just have to look reality in the face
murphyj at cua.edu         and deny it."
                           -- Garrison Keillor