Digerati less inclined to see a library...

curr at mnsinc.com curr at mnsinc.com
Fri Nov 15 16:25:43 EST 1996

Wanted to repost this message below, which had errors in it in my reply -
now corrected - that made it incoherent:

>--- On Thu, 14 Nov 1996 23:57:54 -0800  Four-Color Fiend <shot at panix.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Bo Simons wrote:
>>> year olds don't look to librarians for computer/Internet mentoring....
>>
>>Why should they?
>>
>>Don't know if my branch library is atypical, but of the seven librarians
>>assigned only three have Internet experience and only one, besides myself
>>has an Internet account.  I know dozens of librarians who neither have
nor
>>desire such accounts.  I'm sure that if the average patron asked a
>>librarian about the internet they would get little more than a shrug from
>>a majority of them.
>>
>>Oh, yes, to be fair only one of the clerical staff has any training with
>>the 'net.
>>
>>Steve C.

After having been in an environment since 1989 of computer systems
analysts, everytime I see the "field reports" such as the above, I cannot
help but wonder if librarianship is a moribund profession. However, if it's

any consolation, until recently, very, very few of the systems analysts
I've worked with had any experience in any way on the Internet.

Cliff Urr
E-mail: curr at mnsinc.com
Galaxy Scientific Corp.
Crystal Plaza One, 2001 Jeff Davis Highway,
Suite 1107 Arlington, VA 22202
703-413-0464, ext. 242
Personal Home Page: http://www.mnsinc.com/curr/
Date: 11/15/96