position announcement

Yaeger,Ericka yaegere at oclc.org
Fri Nov 15 11:50:53 EST 1996

What really worries me about this discussion is not that non-library types
work doing IT stuff in libraries.  Rather, I find it frightening that there
seems to be the opinion that librarians are not qualified to do this work.
 I think we librarians are a diverse group, and some of us DO indeed have
these skills.

I also think that library experience and/or training _is_ important to do IT
work in libraries.  Professional training in library science gives us
insight into how all parts of the library work together as a system.  We
have the theoretical knowledge to make good decisions about technology in
the library, as well as the impact that technology will have library wide.
 I'm apt to think that a non-library IT person can do the work, but may not
understand the broader implications.  I also agree that we librarians need
the technical training to work with IT folks.  If we are to pass on our
knowledge we need to conceptually understand the technology we implement.

Thoughts are mine alone.
Ericka L. Yaeger   Online Computer Library Center, Inc.
yaegere at oclc.org   6565 Frantz Rd.
(614) 761-5248     Dublin, OH 43017
1-800-848-5800     http://sitesearch.oclc.org:2000
FAX (614) 764-2344
(snip)
Now I am of the firm opinion that people should be employed in
positions they are skilled in. As an IT person with IT training it
means I am good at doing 'techo stuff' as it is called here. Now I do
not presume to have intimate knowledge of library structures and
needs but it is part of my training to design given the needs that
are communicated to me.

A strategy here has been to asssociate a librarian to every major
network here to act as an intermediate between IT staff and
librarians. So I work as a team with my librarian and they work as a
team with there techo to produce what I think are good systems.

So maybe it is time librarians bite the bullet and acknowledge that
other people have skills they need and make the effort to
communicate outside the library sphere. If you let managers manage,
graphic artists design, teachers train and accountants keep the books
then we would all be better off. It seems to work for the rest of
industry.

Steps down from the box.