Blocking chat on Netscape

Michael Huber mhuber1 at umbc.edu
Fri Nov 15 08:43:29 EST 1996

>> We are offering Netscape to our patrons and I was wondering how
>> other public libraries are dealing the chat rooms. We would rather
>> not have patrons engaging in this activity, but I do not see a way
>> to block chat once a patron is in Netscape.  Is there a way?

> At Anne Arundel County Public Library (Annapolis MD), we were not
> able to ban them technically, but we have issued a policy that
> states "due to the heavy use of the computers access to chat lines
> is not permitted."

Well, I must really be behind, I have never seen a 'chat room', where
can I find one?

In another thread someone asked for an explanation of why this was not
a valid use of the Internet.  First, the original poster made not such
statement and I don't think that is the issue.  At UMBC we have made
several Public Access Web Stations available but, use is limited.  I
used Netscape 2.02 but, mail and news features are disabled as are the
user ability to change most of the settings.  While chat, e-mail, and
news IMHO are valid uses of the Internet, the Web access was setup for
browsing, not chatting, e-mail, etc.

Having dealt with MUD's, IRC and other nightmares, I would tend to
think that 'chat rooms' will soon fall into that category.

		 _) Mike Huber - Computer Support )
	      ___) Albin O. Kuhn Library & Gallery )____
      ________) University of Maryland Baltimore County )______
      ) Opinions and Ideas expressed above are (c) by M. Huber )