Digerati less inclined to see a library...

Four-Color Fiend shot at panix.com
Thu Nov 14 18:13:55 EST 1996

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Bo Simons wrote:

> Our library director geve me copy of the Benton Foundation report that
> was covered by the Atlanta Constitution, exerpted by Edupage and
> broadcast to the members of this list.  The original report bears
> reading.  One of its polling results was what was picked up:  that 18-24
> year olds don't look to librarians for computer/Internet mentoring....

Why should they?

Don't know if my branch library is atypical, but of the seven librarians
assigned only three have Internet experience and only one, besides myself
has an Internet account.  I know dozens of librarians who neither have nor
desire such accounts.  I'm sure that if the average patron asked a
librarian about the internet they would get little more than a shrug from
a majority of them.

Oh, yes, to be fair only one of the clerical staff has any training with
the 'net.

Steve C.