The real reason animated GIFs are a bad idea

Michael S. Wilde mswilde at mailhost1.csusm.edu
Thu Nov 14 13:57:05 EST 1996

Instead of using this incorrect analogy about "wheelchair access" in
reference to animated gifs, why not ask the browser companies to create an
option that allows you to turn off animation?...

I've got a scrolling java applet on our library's page.  You can turn off
the java in Netscape or IE...

				Michael

***********************************
Michael S. Wilde
Excellence in Library Information Systems
mswilde at csusm.edu
(619)-750-4361
http://www.csusm.edu/library/
***********************************

----------
> From: Cameron Parish <cameron at serv.net>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
> Subject: Re: The real reason animated GIFs are a bad idea
> Date: Wednesday, November 13, 1996 1:35 PM
>

> On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Roy Tennant wrote:
>
> > They should be used very judiciously and with care,
> > and only when nothing else will do.
>
> You could even look at animated gifs from a handicapped-access point of
> view.  I've got a moderate case of attention deficit disorder, and
> animated gifs drive me *absolutely* *crazy*.  So crazy, in fact, that
I've