telnet access for web page

Joseph Potts jpotts at arcadia.lib.utah.edu
Wed Nov 13 22:12:07 EST 1996

Ruth, You could do it with a special gateway Unix machine. The easiest way is
to setup a special user (i.e. lynx) on a special gateway machine without a
password and make its shell be the lynx program.  The Dynix users would have
to be instructed to login as "lynx". There is also some chance the user could
break out of the lynx program, so for security reasons it might be best to
have a machine dedicated to this task. You could probably make do with Linux
installed on a low end 486 or even a 386 with 8-16 MB of memory and a
monochrome monitor. You probably have a castoff PC around that could do the
job. Linux is free on the Internet at numerous ftp sites or less than $20 for
a CD.

Here at Marriott Library we have a gateway machine that requires no login
(you just telnet to it and get a menu of various services), but that required
some fancy tricks (assigning a 2nd IP number, using a tcp wrapper program,
and modifying the telnetd daemon).

There is also a way to telnet into expect scripts to automagically run
programs like lynx under the control of the script. Expect is an
extension to the Tcl programming language that allows the spawning and
controlling of other programs so the program can supply passwords
without revealing them the user and generally prevent the user from
doing various stupid things.  This solution requires that the user
telnet to another port besides the standard 23. Don't know if the Dynix
Gateway can do that.

Of course, for any of these solutions, you'll need someone who knows Unix
or has the time and inclination to learn it.  Sounds like you might be
short of that kind of resource.

Joseph C. Potts
Systems R & D Librarian
Marriott Library, University of Utah