Desktop publishing and HTML/PDF conversion

Laura B. Cohen LCOHEN at cnsvax.albany.edu
Tue Nov 5 10:00:11 EST 1996

Hello again:

Here in Albany we're interested in integrating desktop publishing
with the option to convert files to HTML and PDF. We are currently
working in the Windows 3.11 environment.

One program we are considering is Adobe PageMaker 6.0. (This is the
most current version for 3.11) Any opinions out there?

a) Do you like the program overall as a desktop publishing tool?
b) How satisfactory is the HTML and PDF conversion?
c) Are the plugins to create these conversions free, or do they cost?
Adobe's product information is not clear on this point.

Are there recommendations for something other than PageMaker for
this purpose?

As a side issue, we have many WordPerfect documents we'd like to
convert to HTML. The Web4Lib archives cover Word documents only.
Any recommendations on a conversion program?

Many thanks, everyone.  -- Laura Cohen

          Laura B. Cohen
          Network Services Librarian
          University Libraries UL-140
          University at Albany
          Albany, New York  12222          LCOHEN at CNSVAX.ALBANY.EDU