Z39.50, WinNT and Win95, multisite searching

Dan Lester dlester at bsu.idbsu.edu
Fri Nov 1 02:34:18 EST 1996

I've done a fair amount of digging on the nets, but feel I must
be missing something obvious.  For the LILI group (multitype,
statewide in Idaho) we're interested in Z39.50 software that
will allow searching of multiple Z39.50 resources at one time.

I've located BookWhere, which has a Win3.1/95 version for
$39, with significant discounts for quantity or group
purchases (current guesses are a couple hundred copies to
start).  They have another version with lots of goodies that
will be $199 when it comes out "Real Soon Now".  It will run
under 95 and NT only.  They don't have a Mac version, or
expect to do one.  So far it seems to work well, but is more
complex than what I'd really like to see, due to the power.
I'm not sure it is what we really want in an enduser interface,
though it seems to be great for staff.

We have the ability to setup server software on a fast and
strong Intel box, but do NOT want to do it under U*ix for a
variety of reasons.  I've seen server software that will take
take a client connection from Willow or whatever and then
handle the multiple search sessions, but it all seems to run
under U*ix (which includes Linux by my definition).  Does
anyone know of other software that will run under NT4.0 or 95
that will do this?

There are obvious advantages to having the power in the
client/search software, but we could also gladly live with the
power in some software running on a central box under 95 or
NT4.0.

Ideas?  Suggestions?  Straws to grasp at?  Other software
that will handle the multiple searches at one time, besides
Willow and BookWhere?

And, we'd rather buy commercial, supported software (though
hopefully at a "reasonable" price) than go with freeware.
Freeware that is likely to have a long "survival" will also be
considered.  Yes, I'll listen to anything, though....

cheers

dan

dlester at bsu.idbsu.edu
dan at 84.com
"not always a curmudgeon"
"In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king"