News Items for _Journal of Internet Cataloging_

Anne Callery anne at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 4 12:43:30 EST 1996

On Friday, 1 Nov 1996, Tom Tipsword <TOM at wilbur.db.erau.edu> wrote:

> Gerry McKiernan writes:
>
> >      As always, any and all suggestions, recommendations, or
> > candidates will be very much appreciated.
>
> My suggestion would be to scrap both the journal and the whole idea
> of cataloging the Internet.   Even if the  concept of bibliographic
> control of the ever changing Internet wasn't a close cousin of trying to
> nail Jello (tm) to a tree, applying the constraints of the MARC format
> and cataloging rules to all the infinitely varied things on the 'net
> is so limiting it boggles the mind.
>
> When you think about how much time we spend seriously (!) discussing
> things like cataloging the Internet, it's no wonder that librarians have the sort
> of image that leads to stuff like the Packard Bell commercial which has been the
> cause of so much wailing and gnashing of teeth lately.   Seriously, have you
> ever heard anyone who wasn't a librarian demand that catalogers come in
> and straighten out this messy Internet thing?
>
> Come on folks, show a little imagination.   Melville Dewey is dead.  We
> don't have to look at this brave and beautiful new electronic world with
> his 19th century point of view.

I don't know, but this might be a rather hasty judgment of the journal,
considering that the first issue hasn't even come out yet.  The upcoming
issue is supposed to contain an article by a colleague and me on the
topic of how Yahoo! catalogs the web.  If you've seen Yahoo!, you
probably know it's not exactly Dewey.

Anne Callery                  Yahoo!                 anne at yahoo.com