No trailing slash in URL

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.ohiolink.edu
Thu May 16 09:33:41 EDT 1996

> ...The various servers I
> have worked with have all treated URLs ending "<directoryname>" and
> "<directoryname>/" synonymously.

What can I tell you, folks?  My evil twin apparently snuck into my office
and inserted this out and out error.  Most servers do indeed send a 301 or
302 error which redirects the browser to "<directoryname>/".  Which still
doesn't justify a server saying in effect "you have to take some action to
revise your end of this business because we're too busy to send you two
HTTP headers instead of one."

Thomas Dowling                    \ tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Asst. Director, Client/Server Apps.\    614/728-3600 x326
OhioLINK                            \    FAX 614/728-3610
"Sorry, we have no user-friendly error message
for this error code" -- Internet Explorer 3.0a