winqvt

Melissa Silvestre silvest at umslvma.umsl.edu
Wed May 15 13:30:09 EDT 1996

I included web4lib in my Reply in case anyone else is interested in this answer.

I assume that by "return to the icon" you mean return to the Windows
Program Manager.

At the U of MO, we bought a 4-campus site license for winqvt/net, and
got with it a mini version called winqvt/term, which is just a stand-alone
telnet (works without the entire console running).
I have no idea what the site license costs.

By the way, we chose to go this way instead of Ewan because we also
use it for locally-mounted Ovid databases, and found that Ewan couldn't
handle the full-screen ansi characters Ovid needs. Qvt/term does just fine.

I strongly recommend you contact the qvt/net software authors and
ask about a license for just the mini qvtterm product. It comes in both
16-bit and 32-bit (for Windows 95) versions.

To answer your question most directly, you can set things up as:
1. run the console minimized in your Startup group so users never see it
 (or in the progman.ini run= or load= lines).
2. Make your icon out of the "tnstart.exe" program that comes with qvt/net
The tnstart program is an almost-standalone telnet in that it can be a direct
icon to a certain site, and shuts down gracefully. But it does require the
console running also, although the users need never see that.

Hope this helps. Contact me directly for further information about how
we handle these things.

Melissa Silvestre  silvest at umslvma.umsl.edu
http://www.umsl.edu/~silvest/index.html (314) 516-6473  USDA Zone 5
Univ of Missouri-St. Louis, Thomas Jefferson Library - Reference
My writings do not reflect the official position of UMSL.
Commercial use of this electronic message is prohibited without specific
consent.
Permission for unlimited non-commercial use is hereby given.