CNN and Libraries Revisited

Wilfred Drew drewwe at snymorva.cs.snymor.edu
Tue May 14 22:12:15 EDT 1996

I have been extermely surprized how quiet this list has been about the message I
forwarded from the people at CNN concerning linking to their site.  When I questioned
the facts originally, I got several nasty personal messages attacking me.  None of them
went to this list to voice their displeasure (thankfully).  I ignored most of them.
After I forwrded CNN's message,  I got several messages congratulating me on the results
of my investigation.  I did not recieve a single comment from those that had previously
attacked me.

I have just been going through the archives concerning this whole affair.  I have come
to some conclusions that I hope will not offend anyone.

1.  We are too quick to accept at face value statements made by other librarians.

2.  As part of #1., we are too quick to jump on those that question what someone else
has stated even when the first party did not include any corroborating evidence.

3.  I was taught as part of the scientific method to question everything I am told and
to look for independent verification of what was found by others.  This type of attitude
is not "in" now.  It has become socially acceptable to accept everything at face value.
As librarians we cannot operate that way.  We MUST question what we hear especially when
it flies in the face of logic such as CNN charging for linking to their pages.

4.  Do not condemn those that question authority or the status quo.  Require others to
include proof of "facts"  that they state as being "true".

I hope this draws this whole episode to a close.  It does that for me.
--
Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill") Serials/Reference/Systems Librarian
SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902