UPDATED: Writing for the Web: A Primer for Librarians

Eric Schnell schnell.9 at osu.edu
Tue May 14 09:05:48 EDT 1996

**** Posted to multiple lists. I apologize should you receive
        multiple copies****

UPDATED:  Writing for the Web: A Primer for Librarians

*****

   Most of the sections in this document have been updated to reflect
changes in technology and  comments I have received from earlier
versions.

   Due to time and resources I am unable to honor requests for
printed versions of this document.

*****

     ABSTRACT: The most time consuming aspect of managing
a library World-Wide Web service is creating and maintaining the
documents which make up the site. Although policies and style sheets
may vary for each library, all participants in library Web projects need
to know how Web documents are constructed.

     This document discusses basic concepts and terminology which
are associated with writing documents for the Web. It is not an
in-depth HTML guide but a general introduction on how Web
documents are created. Newer technologies used in Web site
construction are briefly described and references to other
resources are provided. An interactive glossary of terms
associated with the Web is also included.

CONTENTS:

   1.Introduction
   2.Background
   3.Hypertext Markup Language (HTML)