Security for Public PC's -Reply

KAREN SCHNEIDER SCHNEIDER.KAREN at EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV
Wed May 8 12:34:43 EDT 1996

It may be "low tech," but if you're worried about theft AFTER hours, it's
also a little more realistic (I don't see thieves dropping their goodies
because the gate beeped... assuming they leave by the front entrance,
which in some libraries is also a stretch... here, they would drop 16 floors
to the pavement).  This way at least they have to remember to bring their
tools.  One source for these items is Philadelphia Security Products, Inc.
phone 1-800-456-1789 or fax 610-499-7480.  We ordered a key locker as
well from a business supply catalog.  Now all we have to do is spend an
afternoon decoding which key opens what, and mark the little tags...

Karen G. Schneider
schneider.karen at epamail.epa.gov
opinions mine alone

>>> David P Atkins <notdpa at unix1.sncc.lsu.edu> 05/08/96 12:01pm

Hello all,

Try small padlocks attached to the cpu case.  Run keyboard & mouse
cables  thru the lock before attaching it to the cpu.  This way the
connector  portion of the cable is of a smaller diameter than the lock,
keeping your  pieces safe(ish).  At least it's a low-tech deterrent.

Just come up w/ a good way to keep all those keys!