Students use of search engines

Nick Tomaiuolo/CCSU Library TOMAIUOLON at CCSUA.CTSTATEU.EDU
Thu May 30 10:09:35 EDT 1996

Colleagues,

I am interested in anecdotal accounts of students use of WWW search engines.
It initially occurred to me that search engine search routines were analogous
to CD-ROM search protocols.  That is, that each vendor had its own search
language, priority of operators, proprietary interface, etc.  This is
certainly true of many search engines as well.  For example, AltaVista has
quite a lengthy list of hints that will improve retrieval (e.g., use of the
+ and - signs, quotation marks, etc.).  Open Text Index (which is changing
as we interact) had Windows-type down buttons that allow users to specify
where to search for keywords, etc.

Are librarians encountering evidence that these disparate protocols are
contributing to end-users' confusion concerning the correct way to search?
Or, if end-users are too detached to be confused, have any librarians noted
that students' retrieval is somewhat off target?

This issue has always raised and continues to raise concern among CD-ROM
librarians.  I have not, however, been able to locate any documentation in
the library or computing, or education literature concerning instruction
issues involving search engines.  I have, of course, seen citations to
dozens of papers on "teaching the Internet" and "using the WWW in educational
settings", but again, nothing has mentioned the search engine disparities or
instruction involving the search engines.

Any comments or discussion on this issue will be appreciated.  Thank you.

Nicholas G. Tomaiuolo, MLS
Bibliographic Instruction Librarian
Central Connecticut State University Library
Reference Department
New Britain, CT  06050

email=  tomaiuolon at ccsu.ctstateu.edu
phone=  (860) 832-2068