Web Directory Structures

lHassett lHassett at dwebb.llu.edu
Fri Mar 29 11:53:23 EST 1996

     I have a question for all of you regarding the best way to
     organize directory structures of a multi-paged web site.

     We are nearly ready to put our Library web site up for the
     public.  I have made the directory structure as follows:

     About  (hours, mission, policies, location, etc.)
     Collections  (holdings descriptions, arrangements, etc.)
     Services  (ILL, Reference, Circulation, etc.)
     Searchable Resources  (catalogs, databases, Internet, etc.)

     All files are in these four directories.  (should we have
     one just for our graphics?)

     When our site goes up, it will be moved to the main
     University server.  We have just been informed that at that
     time all of our files will need to be in one directory.

     What do you all think about so many pages being all in one
     directory?  Could you give me some feedback on the pro's and
     con's of this arrangement?  Of course it has a big impact on
     the structure of the internal page links.  Any other reasons
     why one way would be better than the other?

     I appreciate very much the feedback from this group.  So
     many of you are doing really wonderful things.

     Thanks in advance for your help.

     Leslie Hassett, Reference Librarian
     Loma Linda University
     lhassett at dwebb.llu.edu