Launching Executables out of Netscape

Robert J. Joachim rjoachim at mail03.mitre.org
Thu Mar 14 08:51:32 EST 1996

I recently gave a presentation on this topic at the Computers in Libraries
conference.  (While the focus was launching networked CD-ROMs from a Web
browser, launching apps from a c: drive is the same principle.)

Briefing slides from this presentation are available at:

http://universe.digex.net/~rjoachim/

Rob Joachim

Robert Joachim, Library Systems Analyst
MITRE Corporation, Corporate Information Services
1820 Dolley Madison Blvd., McLean, VA  22102  USA
E-mail: rjoachim at mitre.org  Voice: 703-883-7706  FAX: 703-883-1250

>Hello all,
>
>Anyone with any experience launching executables out of Netscape?  I've
worked on the Helper Preferences, setting exe/bin's to launch but the  browser
still wants to save.

>What I was testing is whether or not I can launch an exe off my c:\ drive
out of Netscape (Open Local File).  I figured a personal web page workspace
would be alot more useful if I could use it to launch a few of my pet  app's
without toggling back & forth in Windows.

>Thanks, David

>David P. Atkins Electronic Reference Services Librarian    Middleton Library
                  email:  notdpa at unix1.sncc.lsu.edu Louisiana State University
                    voice:   (504) 388-6823  Baton Rouge, LA 70803-3300
              fax:    (504) 388-6825