Looking for automated way to get staff docs to server

Coble, Jim jim at mail.lib.duke.edu
Fri Mar 15 11:48:17 EST 1996

It is our desire to distribute the creation and maintenance of pages for our
library's webspace to as many library staff as possible.  We also want to
restrict the number of login accounts to the Web server machine to as few as
possible for better security and management.  So, what we would like to do is
set up a way for library staff to contribute and maintain pages on the Web
server without having login accounts to the Web server and without requiring an
intermediary.  Has anyone found a way to permit staff to put documents on the
server without requiring a login account on the server?  One thought we have
had is to replicate the Web document directory on a Novell fileserver; let
staff edit, add, and delete them there; and then used scripted FTP to transfer
the latest versions to the Web server at specified intervals.  We'd like to
hear if there are other ways to do this.
--Jim
Jim Coble                                                Voice: 919-660-5859
Senior Systems Librarian                                 Fax:   919-684-2855
Perkins Library                              Internet: jim at mail.lib.duke.edu
Box 90196
Duke University
Durham, NC 27708-0196