Do librarians need XXXXXXXXXXX capabilities?

Tim Mallory tmallory at timberland.lib.wa.us
Thu Jun 20 17:20:43 EDT 1996

                (this is about that HTML discussion)

   How many enterprises have expired because they do not know what
their business is?  I know I'm paraphrasing some renowned business consultant
here . . . assume all the proper credits/apologies/plaudits to the
originators, or most recent/popular plagiarizers, or yourself.
  The library business, in spite of being named after a building, is a
process of connecting people with information.  Anything more limited
than that and you're dead in the water, eventually.  Gone the way of
papyrus pushers and scroll scriveners.
   I need to know tools that enable my help to be worth getting paid.
Today it is knowing where about 80,000 things are located in my building,
and they have to be the right things.  I also know about what i don't
have in my building, and some idea of how to access almost anything.
    Today some of the (referrents of) acronyms I wrestle with
professionally include DDC, LCSH, IAC, ACLU, LOC, CIA, DSHS, MARC, ASCII,
EJIC, CMP, FTP, FBI, MASH, WSL, TRL, KCLS, LSCA, PDR, DSM4, AACR2, WFW,
and just a coupla days ago, LS/MFT.  What's the point of another one to
learn?
    I don't have to debate what things to learn.  My patrons (Gosh, do I
want to argue about that one?) will let me know.  If I'm one step ahead I
think I can continue to get paid in this profession . . .

Tim Mallory, Reference Librarian
Aberdeen Timberland Library     Voice:   360-533-2360
121 E. Market St.                 FAX:   360-532-2953
Aberdeen, WA  98520-5292       e-mail:   tmallory at timberland.lib.wa.us
__%\__"round and round goes the wind" - ecclesiastes i:6 __%\__)))))>>>*