Relevancy and Ranking... by Wealth

Bill Crosbie crosbie at AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU
Thu Jun 20 09:58:46 EDT 1996

At 02:15 PM 6/19/96 -0700, ROBERT L. BATTENFELD wrote:
>I think its more like a "sucking" sound....
>Anyway I hope this doesn't catch on but I'm sure it will be like
>pigs to a trough.  I wonder how they will deal with multiple
>"preferred" (fleeced?) clients that are competitors?  Doesn't this
>"service" already exists with good web page design?

Actually, no.  What they are guaranteeing is that if you and 1000 other
competitors are ordinarily returned as the result of a query, you will be at
the top of the heap.  True, if you don't have good design, you'll probably
be wasting your money.  Having the top link migh come to mean that people
will be expecing more from your site... but there are probably hundreds of
small computer vendors all looking to buy the words Cheap RAM.

I can hear the auctioneers starting now.  I've gotta prime search term here
and we'll open the bidding for it at $1000.  I have a grand thank you sir
who'll give me two? thank you ma'am there in the red dress I have two who'll
give me three?  Five to the well dressed gentleman in the back of the
room...thank YOU sir...

sheesh...
Information technology has		Bill Crosbie
replaced hot cars as the  		Microcomputer Analyst
symbol of robust manhood.		Chang Science Library
   	 				Rutgers University
	  -Scott Adams			New Brunswick, NJ USA
	   creator of 'Dilbert'		crosbie at aesop.rutgers.edu
					908-932-0305 x114