Do librarians need basic HTML capabilities?

Margareta S. Knauff Margareta_S._Knauff at dsmllp.com
Wed Jun 19 16:24:24 EDT 1996

        I have been watching this discussion with some interest.  The
     situation here (a private law firm) is probably a little different.
     However - the Library is responsible for maintaining the firm web
     site.   know that our pages do not have a uniform look and feel (yet),
     but there is some consistency overall.  Being the "only" ones in the
     firm that do HTML give us some editorial and quality control over what
     is posted on our site.  I have heard some horror stories from
     individuals in other organizations where each section and department
     marked up their own stuff and loaded it onto the server.  The color
     scheme on one page clashed with another, or even the main company home
     page, and the quality level of web pages varied greatly from
     department to department.
        In my situation, learning HTML was an absolute career saver.  The
     only downside, is with the 9 million other things I have to do, I
     don't get to devote as much attention to web development as I would
     like.
        As to those software programs that insert HTML tags for you - there
     are always going to be new developments in the tags (frames is an
     example) that won't be supported by the design programs.  Knowing
     about HTML and the way it works allows you to insert the newer tags
     (if you want) even though they are not yet an industry standard (I am
     *NOT* advocating this, just mentioning it!).
      Margareta Knauff <returning to lurk mode>
     Tech & Online Services Librarian
     Dickstein, Shapiro & Morin, L.L.P.
     Margareta_S._Knauff at dsmllp.com