Do librarians need basic HTML capabilities?

Keith Engwall engwall at uthscsa.edu
Wed Jun 19 10:30:48 EDT 1996

Whether I'm agreeing or disagreeing with Bill is open to interpretation, I guess, but here's my opinions on the matter.

Should every librarian be a webmaster?  Definitely not.  The ability to put clickable maps in frames is not a skill necessary to perform one's job.

Should every library have a webmaster?  That's up to the library.  How does the internet fit into that library's mission?  I'd say that if they invest in training or hiring an individual or group of individuals who are proficient in HTML and/or internet navigation would be rewarded in the long run, due to the pervasive way this medium is being absorbed into business, entertainment, grass roots, and many other levels of our culture.

Should every librarian have basic skills in Internet Research?  Well, like above, that depends on what role the internet plays in the mission of the library... but if
the library is going to take on the expense of taking advantage of the information resources available on the Internet, it's foolish not to do it right and train everyone on the staff in at least the basic research methods - search engines, directories, etc.  Otherwise this resource is sucking unbelievable amounts of cash for nought.

Should every librarian have basic HTML capabilities?  Why not?  If librarians can tackle the MARC record, basic HTML should be CAKE!!!  And if a librarian can't recognize an HTML file well enough to know to run it through a browser, then that's pretty silly.  I mean, what are we talking here?  The concept of tags (this is not THAT different from the concept of MARC field notation), 10-20 basic tags and what they look like in a browser, and the general rules behind placing tags.

Now, just as not every librarian is suited to the task of a full-time cataloger, not every librarian should be expected to write an HTML site (this is what specializations are for); but just as every librarian learns some basic cataloging to become familiar with the process and what it means in the context of the library, they should be exposed to the basics of HTML if they're adopting this medium into their library.

Keith