Do librarians need basic HTML capabilities? - Reply

MARY A. DOYLE, SYSTEMS LIBRARIAN, ECSU DOYLEM at ECSUC.CTSTATEU.EDU
Wed Jun 19 10:07:30 EDT 1996

The Big Glee Bopper <thom at copper.ucs.indiana.edu>
Tuesday, June 18, 1996 "Being literate in a digital
environment means you have to be able to do  more than
click on links for true understanding ... you have to be able
 to program which is digital writing."
____________________________________
Yes, *some* librarians need to know HTML.
_____________________________________
Yes I agree.
Just a reminder that we all took cataloging, reference, etc. in
library schools. They were the tools that began our "information literacy".
I think that a new age has dawned and we are expected to
function in that new age.The tools are evolving.
I think that the premise that  we as a profession can somehow be removed
from the current set of technological tools is false and dangerous. And....
there should be more than one or two individuals in a library
that are "technologically literate"
The technologies that allow us to move files around,
DOS, Windows, integrated library systems (flavor of your choice)
HTML all will evolve. Just as those old cataloging and reference
tools have done. Yet I believe the commitment to ramping up
an institution and its personnel to fully participate in
their use, now and in the future, is vital.
What if.........