windows and the public

Bruce R. Heimburger brh at agrl.lib.sc.us
Fri Jun 7 11:36:10 EDT 1996

Elvio Pederzolli wrote:

> dHi There
>
> We are about to provide our library users a new integrated way of using
> resources on our novell network. They will be able to access our cdrom network
> (about 20 cdroms in all), ERL databases on our ERL server and of course access
> to our INNOPAC library system. They will be able to do this from clicking on
> icons from a window on their windows 3.22 desktop.
>
> We can implement the usual low level security options in windows eg stop them
> deleting icons, stopping the file run option and preventing them from closing
> down windows.
>
> However, if they minimize that main window or use the alt tab key stokes they
> will be able to see the icons for the undepinning programes that are running
> in the background - these programs drive our socket connections to our file
> severs and allow telnet acces to our UNIX machine that runs our INNOPAC
> software. They can then maliciously or accidently stop these programmes from
> running. This means that important parts of the network are disabled and
> require intervention from our hard pressed computer help desk staff.
>
> Has anyone experienced this problem ? Is there a way of locking users into a
> main window, of stopping the use of the alt tab keys so that all
> users get to see is the main window.
>
> We have built our network on the principle that users should be able to access
> all imformation resources from the one place and we would not like to change
> this.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Regards Elvio Pederzooli

I have been meaning to post to the list our library's solution to the Windows
security issue for a while now.  The above question has provided the impetus.
We are now using two software products to 'secure' our public access PCs.  The
first product is Fortres 101.  This software has been around for a while, but has
just recently been updated to be compatible with Win95 as well as Win 3.x.  Fortres
allows the user to optionally protect all parts of Windows that involve setup,
preferences, or disk access.  It can also disable access to or resizing of program
groups.  You can easily limit users to one program group window and hide everything else
underneath.  I am not sure about how it handles Alt-Tab.  Fortres protects from boot
interruption as well.  Fortres 101 is priced at $295 for a _site_ license!  The phone
number is 800-331-0372.

The second program is IKIOSK from HyperTechnologies, http://www.hypertec.com/ .  This
program is the answer for selectively limiting access to drop-down menu functions.  One
can disable any function on any menu in any windows program.  IKIOSK works with both
versions of Windows.  It will even disable 'Right-mouse-button' functions.  I was very
glad to find IKIOSK.  Otherwise I would have had to use something like Borland's Resource
Workshop to disable menu items.  IKIOSK is still in 'beta' and is available for download
at the site listed above.

I have noticed no problems with these programs running on top of Win95 & Netscape on 486 machines
with 8 MB of RAM.

--
Bruce R. Heimburger  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  Abbeville-Greenwood Regional Library
office: 864-941-4653               106 N. Main Street