Browser independence

Margareta S. Knauff Margareta_S._Knauff at dsmllp.com
Thu Jun 6 09:34:16 EDT 1996

     A good site to look at for HTML stuff is A Compendium of HTML
     Elements.  Tells you all the tags and what is widely supported, what
     isn't, and/or what browsers do.  It's at:
     http://www.synapse.net/~woodall/html.htm
     I think browser independence *may* be just not using HTML tags
     invented by particular browsers (say Netscape or Microsoft), instead
     sticking with HTML 2.0.
     The good thing about browser independence (if you don't want to
     maintain multiple versions of pages for those who can view tables, and
     those who can't, for example), is that everyone, no matter what kind
     of connection or browser they have, can view your pages.  The only
     downside (that I can see) is that your pages might not be as snazzy as
     someone else's.  And that gets into a whole another debate about
     content vs. appearance...
     Margareta Knauff
     Technical & Online Services Librarian (& WebIt)
     Dickstein, Shapiro & Morin, L.L.P.
     Margareta_S._Knauff at dsmllp.com
     ***Opinions expressed are my own - not those of my organization***