Students use of search engines -Reply

Kris Ecklund vfoao05d at dewey.csun.edu
Tue Jun 4 16:47:04 EDT 1996

On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, Gail Wanner wrote:

> Instead of trying to convince students (and others) that they need to
> learn the complexities of web searching, perhaps we should be trying to
> improve the searching so that people are successful in their searches
> without special training?  Most people find information in the phone book
> without needing to be trained & they expect the web (and library catalogs)
> to be basically the same.

Gail,

IMHO, most people want some one else to find the phone book info for
them.  Several years ago many library instruction librarian types began
using the phone directory as a paradigm for thesaurus search of a
database, especially when we were conversing hopefully with K-12
librarians and teachers.  Even phone books aren't what they used to seem
to be, though.

It seems logical to assume, though, that a student who is instructed in
searching via two or more Boolean-use products (e.g., ERIC on FirstSearch
and ERIC on SilverPlatter CD-ROM or the "ehm" file in Lexis-Nexis's
Medline and America:  History and Life on CD-ROM) will have an idea of
*where to look for hints/instructions* in using a WWW search engine--if
(!) they are taught that consulting a guide/hints/help is important to the
success of their search and that they are responsible for locating it and
using it.

Kris Ecklund, Librarian
California State University, Northridge  91330-8327
818-885-2281
kristin.ecklund at csun.edu