Setting up an "intranet"

Andrzej Kowalski andrzej at dingo.com
Mon Jun 10 23:01:25 EDT 1996

At 11:43 06/07/96 -0700, Mary A. Duffy wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Has anyone set up an intranet on a Netware 3.12 network and a www
>server?  What were the pittfalls and problems?  Did you have to buy any
>additional hardware or software?  How did you limit access to the
>intranet side of your www server? What are the limitations if any?

It depends on what you want to do on the Intra side of the Net.  Simply
having a password controlled area for static Web pages is extremely straight
forward with the vast majority of httpd servers.  You password protect
directories with Web documents as required using the htpasswd program that
comes with your httpd server - at least with Unix servers.

The passwords do travel across the network unencrypted, but then so do the
vast majority of terminal-based logins.  You can buy secure servers,
starting at about $500.00, I believe, for the Apache Secure Sockets Layer.

Firewalls may be also be used - at additional cost - to further enhance
security.

In the Web database design consulting area, we are seeing a number of our
third party developers implement sophisticated Intranet WWW database
applications.  In other words, they use Web forms to allow appropriately
privileged users to query, insert, update, delete etc. from enterprise
databases in the same office or across the country.

>Any information on how you set it up would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mary Duffy
>Computer Services Library
>Vermont Law School

Andrzej Kowalski
################
Andrzej Kowalski
Dingo Software Systems Inc.
andrzej at dingo.com
http://www.dingo.com
303-601 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC, Canada, V5Z 4C2
Tel: (604) 877-1960
Fax: (604) 877-1961
Fast and flexible data retrieval from data collections of all sizes
in-house and on the WWW with the KE Texpress object oriented database.