Javascript

Chris Howard choward at iastate.edu
Wed Jun 5 16:36:15 EDT 1996

Walter Giesbrecht wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jun 1996, Linda Hyman wrote:
>
> > I suppose I should send my two cents worth to the listserv and start a
> > raging debate over PERL vs. JavaScript...
> >

>  [citations to two Perl books deleted]
>
> >  You might want to check out JavaScript though before you go to deeply into
> > yucky old PERL.
>
> .. stuff deleted ...
>
> > We see the demise of PERL imminent except for special uses.
> >
> > As a non-programmer, I took one look at PERL and said "no way."  I am
> > finding JavaScript very approachable and with immediate results.  Another
> > big plus for JavaScript, it debugs!!  Good luck debugging a PERL script.
> > Nuff said.  I would do some research before I put alot of time into PERL.
> > Do some quick research to compare capabilities and decide exactly what it
> > is that you need to do.  Good luck.

Another issue with Javascript is the reports of security holes
that allow a script to access information on the user's computer.

I've recommendations from people I respect,
telling users to turn off Javascript in their  browser.

Do your users trust you enough to run your program on
their computer?

And a p.s. for Perl documentation:  the "manual" for Perl 5 is
available on the net in Postscript format.  It wouldn't be my
first choice as a training guide, but it's a must for a Perl
programmer.
--
Chris Howard    choward at iastate.edu    (515) 294-6521
Iowa State University Library -- Automated Systems Division